Five Things You Can Do NOW, to be Better
This entire week we talked about such topics as: Strength, Speed, and Skills Improvement.
Like anything in life, you only get out of something what you are willing to put into it. Some of the things take time, effort and energy. You may be saying, "I am just SO busy. I just don’t have time to train or practice like I want to." Changing habits involve small steps, repeated over time
to create new habits. So here are five things you can do that take little time, no money and can yield big results.
1) Drink Water first thing in the morning...It helps flush your system and gets the metabolism boiling. A hydrated body will perform better and be less prone to injury! Nearly every athlete and person does not get the needed amount of water every day. Drink up!
2) Stretch when you get up and before you go to bed...It will get your body moving and warmed up for the day and release tension and help you sleep better at night. Plus, it will reinforce your commitment to your body and health. If you are not foam rolling/tennis ball rolling, check it out!
3) Deep Breathing throughout the day...It will help you be better aware, alert and focused for the day It will also help a ton on the rink, not being so stiff and tense! Practice deep breathing at red lights, in class, on the rink at practice and on the bench during games. Breath in through your nose, hold it and breathe out your mouth, sucking in your stomach (think belly button to your back)
4) Think and repeat Positive Thoughts throughout the day...Imagine if you said to yourself..."I am Strong, Fit and Powerful" all throughout the day, every day...our actions follow our thoughts. Practice saying positive pick-me-up’s to yourself and increase your confidence and motivation!
5) Picture Positive Images in your head throughout the day...What do you want to accomplish? You have to see it in your mind before it can happen...picture yourself playing great hockey,
making great plays, getting good grades, focus on what you WANT and see it in your head...seeing is believing!
Now, you may be saying...these are no "secrets" it seems so easy. Look at the list...how many of these 5 are YOU doing? You cannot imagine the positive effect on your game and on your life. Remember the thousand mile journey begins with a single step. The best thing is you never wake up one day and say, "I am here. This is as good as it gets." We are constantly evolving and growing. Take charge in your development and kick some butt!
Peter Dale is the founder of USA Clinics, the #1 Roller Hockey Instructional Program in the country. Peter owns and operates a hockey training center, The Farm, in Wisconsin and trains players from all over the world. To learn more about USA Clinics and the farm, please visit: USAClinics.com and IamAHockeyPlayer.com